Last Updated on July 29, 2021
Shashank Singh is an Indian cricketer who represents Chhattisgarh cricket team in the domestic circuit. The aggressive batting all-rounder has been consecutively picked by multiple IPL franchises since 2017; however, he is yet to feature in an IPL match.
Shashank Singh was born on Thursday, 21 November 1991 (age 29 years; as of 2020), Bhilai, Madhya Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
Shashank Singh started playing cricket at the age of 8. He took his foundational cricket coaching in Madhya Pradesh and later moved to Mumbai at the age of 17 in 2008. Initially, it was difficult for him to find a suitable club where he could pursue his cricket career. He joined the Vidya Paradkar Cricket Academy (Mumbai) and trained under the adept coaching of Vidya Paradkar, a veteran cricket coach having an experience of more than three decades. Shashank credits Vidya Paradkar for all that he has achieved in his career. Talking about his guru, Shashank said,
Vidya Sir really helped me out as I practiced under his guidance; without him, it wouldn’t have been possible. From my stance to my specific shots, he is the one I share all my technical problems with”
After learning the nuances of cricket under Paradkar, he joined the DY Patil Cricket Academy (Mumbai), started playing club cricket for DY Patil’s cricket team, and then went on to make a name for himself as a prolific batting all-rounder in the limited-overs domestic cricket. Along with pursuing his career in cricket, Akash Singh has equally focused on his studies. He pursued a Master’s degree in Commerce from Achariya College in Puducherry in 2017.
Height (approx): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
His mother, Sunita Singh, has worked at Reliance Infocomm, while his father is a police personnel. He has an elder sister, Shrutika Singh, who works at ONGC Mumbai.
Shashank Singh played his first match for Mumbai’s under-19 cricket team when he was 17 years old in 2008. Later, he joined DY Patil Cricket Academy, started playing club level cricket for their team. Shashank’s selection in the Mumbai’s senior T20 team happened in 2015 after he played an unbeaten inning of 65 runs off 23 balls during a local cricket tournament in Cuttack. He considers his selection in Mumbai’s senior T20 team as the best feat of his career so far. On 1 April 2015, he embarked on his domestic cricket career for Mumbai in a T20 match against Cuttack in the 2015-16 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. On 10 December 2015, he made his List-A cricket debut against Punjab at Hyderabad in the 2015–16 Vijay Hazare Trophy. Considering his performances in the domestic cricket circuit, he was procured by the Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) in the auction ahead of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2017. He did not play a single match in the entire season.
Since the start of his career, Shashank has been an aggressive white-ball (limited-overs) batsman. This was one of the reasons that he could not get a spot on Mumbai’s first-class cricket team. In 2019, he decided to move to Chhattisgarh and continue his cricketing career playing for Chhattisgarh’s cricket team. On 9 December 2019, he made his first-class cricket debut for Chhattisgarh (against Odisha) in the 2019–20 Ranji Trophy and has been a part of the team since then. He went unsold in the auction for 2018 edition of the IPL. He was a part of the Rajasthan Royals Squad in the 2019 and 2020 editions of the IPL; however, he is yet to make a debut in the Indian Premier League.
Actor(s): Alia Bhatt & Sara Ali Khan
Movie: Iqbal (2005)
Dialogue: Yeh dimaag ka khel hai joh dil se khela jaata hai
Sports women: Saina Nehwal & P. V. Sindhu
Sportsperson: Roger Federer
- Product of the league cricket system in Mumbai, Shashank is explosive with the bat, agile in the field, and also has the ability to bowl utility off-break deliveries. All of this makes him a decent package in the limited over cricket.
- He is known for his rage-hitting prowess and has well demonstrated his potential in the domestic cricket matches on several occasions. He once scored 74 runs off merely 14 balls during a practice match at DY Patil Stadium. Out of the 14 balls that he played in that inning, he sent 10 balls over the boundary rope for sixes.
- Shashank, a fitness freak, looks up to Virat Kohli with regards to fitness.
- In an interview with Read Scoops, a sports and entertainment news portal, Shashank was asked about what keeps him going after his dream (to play for India), as there are only slim chances for players to enter the Indian cricket team, considering the extent of competition in the sport. Responding to the question, he told,
Competitive cricket in India involves a lot of practice and patience, as sometimes, you may not get selected even after playing well. All you have to do is keep working hard, keep believing and wait for your time, which will come eventually. I’ve been more motivated and mentally tough. Someday, I’ll get my chance for sure.”
- Shashank Singh occasionally consumes alcoholic beverages for recreational purpose.