Last Updated on March 22, 2023
Farhad Samji is an Indian writer, singer, lyricist, actor, music director, and film director who is known for directing Bollywood films like Housefull 4, Bachchhan Paandey, and Kisi Ka Bhai Kisi Ki Jaan. He has also appeared in films including Baaghi 3 and Coolie No. 1.
Farhad Samji was born on Sunday, 5 May 1974 (age 49 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Taurus. Farhad started his career in 2002 as a lyricist with his brother Sajid.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information available about his parents.
His brother’s name is Sajid Samji, who is a film director.
Wife & Children
He married Zukhruf Farhad Samji.
Together, they have a son.
In 2006, he started writing dialogues in movies. In 2008, he made his debut as a dialogue writer for the film Sunday.
He has written dialogues for other Hindi films including Golmaal 3 (2010), Singham (2011), Chennai Express (2013), Housefull 3 (2016) and Coolie No. 1 (2020).
In 2011, he made his debut as a writer in films with Double Dhamaal.
He has written other Bollywood films like Himmatwala (2013), Boss (2013), Street Dancer 3D (2020), Laxmii (2020), and Bachchhan Paandey (2022).
In 2014, he turned into a director for the film Its Entertainment.
He has directed the Bollywood films Housefull 3 (2016), Housefull 4 (2019), and Bachchhan Paandey (2022).
He made his debut as a playback singer in the film Daddy Cool: Join the Fun in 2009.
He sang songs in Hindi films including Me and Mrs Khanna (2009), The Camp (2010), and Laxmii (2020).
Farhad made his debut as a lyricist with the song Kaan Ke Neeche Bajaa for the film Chor Machaaye Shor in 2002.
He has written song lyrics for various other songs including ‘Pyar Ki’, ‘Taang Uthake’, ‘Malamaal’, and ‘Fake Ishq.’
In 2010, he became a music composer for the film Malayalam film Oru Avadhikaalam.
He has worked as a music composer for the short film Cafe, Street, Sidewalk (2014), Hindi film Prassthanam (2019), and Housefull 4 (2019).
In 2010, he made a special appearance in the film Baaghi 3 as a man in the gent’s toilet.
He made his debut as a director in television with the TV series Baby Come Naa in 2018.
He has directed the TV series Booo: Sabki Phategi (2019), and Pop Kaun (2023).
Farhad has directed the music videos Ek Chumma (2019), and The Bhoot Song (2019).
In 2019, he appeared as an actor in the song The Bhoot Song.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2012: Nominated for Apsara Award for Best Dialogue for the film Singham
- 2014: Nominated for Screen Award for Best Dialogue for the film Chennai Express
- He has a tattoo inked on his neck.
- In an interview, he said that he got the inspiration for screenwriting from Kader Khan. In the interview, he further said that someone told him that he used to describe the character in his songs very well, so he should try writing films. He gave an example of his work saying Munna Bhai’s title track goes M Bole To Master Main Master/ B Bole To Bindaas Doctor/ B Bole To Be-Misaal Actor/ S Bole To S Bole To Shana.
- In 2018, he became the director of the film Housefull 4 after Sajid Khan was accused of #MeToo by various women who worked with him.
- In 2022, he wrote the film Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 which was a success at the box office. In an interview, he talked about remaking old films and said,
Taking a good story, and then embellishing it further is as challenging a task as writing a fresh story. And, what’s wrong in doing that?”
- In 2023, the Twitter trend ‘Remove Farhad Samji from Hera Pheri’ went viral. A fan page of Akshay Kumar, ‘Akkistan’ started the trend and requested to remove Farhad from the making of the film Hera Pheri 3. In an interview, the owner of the fan club, Neeraj Raut talked about this and said, that the films including Entertainment (2014), Housefull 3 (2016), and Bachchhan Paandey (2022) made by Farhad in which Akshay Kumar starred did not get successful at the box office or content-wise, but also caused harm to him. In the interview, he further said that the comedy web series Pop Kaun directed by Farhad was also criticized by the public. He said that he had written he open letter on behalf of Akshay Kumar’s fans. Many industry experts talked about the trend and said that he should be removed so that public demands are fulfilled whereas another expert said that it was the choice of the actor to remove a director from the film.
- In 2023, the film Cirkus starring Ranveer Singh did not become a success. Farhad had written the dialogue in the film. In an interview, he talked about the failure of the film and said,
We don’t have any formula. We are filmmakers, we are not magicians or God. We can only try our best. Even Tendulkar gets out at zero and when he hits a century, he does. I respect Rohit Shetty for all the work he has done. His vision has helped me as well. I will not say this is a gamble, but the film business is a calculative gamble.”